EcoPulse™ is based on a modified Daher TBM turboprop aircraft. The standard engine and propeller systems are augmented by six wing-mounted propellers, each of which is driven by 50-kW ENGINeUS™ electric motors powered by batteries or an auxiliary power unit.
The demonstrator is developed in partnership with Daher and Safran. The partners contribute the following:
- Development of a high-energy-density battery to be used as an electric source for four of the six propellers
- Aerodynamic and acoustic integration of the distributed-propulsion system
- Development of a Flight Control computer system
- Aircraft integration of the components brought by Airbus and Safran on its airframe
- Flight and airworthiness testing
- Overall results analysis coordination
- Distributed hybrid-propulsion system integration (excluding batteries)
The project is also supported by the French Civil Aviation Research Council (CORAC) and the French Civil Aviation Authority (DGAC).