Victor Chu graduated as a lawyer in London. He was admitted to practice law in England and Hong Kong. After completing his training with Herbert Smith, the City law firm, Victor moved back to Hong Kong in 1982 with Herbert Smith. He has since handled a wide array of mandates in the field of corporate, commercial and securities law, with special emphasis on China and regional investment transactions. In late 1985, he founded Victor Chu & Co., which has become one of the leading law firms in Hong Kong.
In 1988, Victor Chu created the First Eastern Investment Group, a Hong Kong based international investment firm which he leads since then as Chairman and CEO. First Eastern specialises in private equity investments, venture capital investments and investments in the expansion stage of business development. Victor Chu was part of the first wave of specialists in the Chinese market. He penetrated China early and built a lot of relationships at the highest level in the country.
Victor Chu has been instrumental in gaining the confidence of major international investors and institutions ready to co-invest with First Eastern Investment Group. Key projects have included toll roads, water treatment operations, property and manufacturing industries and FinTech, as well as the launch of Japanese budget airline Peach Aviation.
Victor Chu is an extremely respected business figure in Hong Kong and Asia. In addition to his business activities, he has been very active with several international institutions such as The World Economic Forum and The Royal Institute of International Affairs. He is also a generous philanthropist in the field of environmental protection (including having served on Global Ocean Commission and WWF) and education (currently Chair of Council at University College London).
- Member of the Board of Directors of Airbus SE
- Chairman and CEO of First Eastern Investment Group
- Member of the Board of China Merchants China Direct
- Member of the Board of Grand Harbour Marina PLC
- Member of the Board of Camper & Nicholsons Marina Investments
- Member of the Board of FE Securities
- Member of the Board of Peach Aviation
- Member of the Board of Evolution Securities Asia
- Member of the Board of Sustainable Development Capital
- Member of the Board of Nomura Holdings
- Co-Chair of the International Business Council (by World Economic Forum)
- Senior Partner at Victor Chu & Co.
Victor Chu, British